Choose tomatoes with bright, shiny skins and firm flesh.
💡 DEAL OF THE WEEK
Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight,
for use within 1 week after ripe. Tomatoes taste best if not refrigerated; refrigerate only if you can’t use them before they spoil.
Low fat; saturated fat free; very low sodium; cholesterol free; low calorie; high in vitamin A; high in vitamin C; good source of potassium.
👩🍳 Chef's Favorite Recipe : Vegetable Tomato Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- Optional: parsley and basil chopped
- Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and zucchini and sauté until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook ~1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and soy sauce and stir to blend. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: Put all ingredients in blender/vitamix and process till smooth.
- Serve with parsley and basil.