Buy onions online on London Grocery!
How to Select Best Onions in London?
Choose firm, dry onions with shiny, tissue-thin skins.
How to Store Your Fresh Delivered Onions?
Dry onions keep three to four weeks if stored in a dry, dark, cool location.
Benefits of Onions
As a good source of vitamin C, onions may support the building and maintenance of collagen which provides structure to skin and hair. Also onions are a nutrient-dense food, meaning that they are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants while being low in calories.
What is the Best Recipe for Onions?
French Onion Soup
- 5-6 peeled and thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups of beef stock (or veggie stock)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- Sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Grated or sliced cheese (such as Swiss or Mozzarella)
- In a large heavy-bottomed stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until well for about 30 minutes until caramelized (but not burnt), initially stirring every 3-5 minutes, then about once a minute near the end of caramelization to prevent burning. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in the wine to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire, bay leaf, and thyme and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and sprigs of thyme. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. While the soup is simmering, slice the baguette into 1-inch thick pieces and arrange them in single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until the bread is toasted and golden around the edges. Remove and set aside.
- Switch the oven to the broiler. Once the soup is ready to serve, place your oven-safe bowls on a thick baking sheet. Ladle the soup into each bowl, then top with a baguette slice and your desired amount of cheese. Place on an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat and broil for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven and serve immediately while the soup is hot and bubbly.