Buy Star Fruit / Carambola Stardew Online with London Grocery
How to Select Fresh Star Fruit?
When ripe, star fruit appears mainly bright yellow with tinges of light green. They may have some dark brown along the five ridges—this is normal. The flesh should still be quite firm to the touch.
How to Store Carambola Fruit?
Non-ripe star fruit should be turned often, until they are yellow in color and ripe with light brown ribs. Store ripe star fruits at room temperature for two to three days or unwashed, and refrigerated, in a plastic bag for up to one week.
What are Star Fruit's Health Benefits?
They're a good source of Vitamin C, star fruit can help boost your immune system, which is great when trying to ward off winter colds and flu. With only 30 calories per fruit plus lots of fiber, star fruit is a great choice for anyone trying to lose weight. They're also very healthy—full of antioxidants and flavonoids.
How to Cut Fresh Delivered Star Fruit?
- Rinse the star fruit, or lightly wash it with a homemade fruit and vegetable wash.
- Hold the star fruit vertically over a cutting board or counter-top. Using a sharp knife, cut very shallowly down along each of the five ridges (or "star points"), removing and discarding the brown outer edge.
- Turn the star fruit on its side. You will see that one end of the fruit comes to a peak, while the other end is flatter with a dark spot (where the stem was attached). Cut off this end piece and discard.
- Now your star fruit is ready to be sliced. Like an apple, you can cut thin or thick slices, it's up to you.
- Using the tip of your knife, remove and discard any seeds you find.
What's the Best Recipe For Fresh Carambolas?
Star fruits are great to eat out of hand as these tropical delights do not need to be peeled before eating. Simply wash the fruit, remove any blemished areas, cut crosswise to get the star shape, and eat!