Choose robust firm roots with a spicy fragrance and smooth skin. Ginger root should not be cracked or withered.
Store ginger root tightly wrapped in a paper towel or plastic wrap (or put into a plastic bag) in the refrigerator for 2–3 weeks.
Ginger root is low in fat, low in sodium, and cholesterol free. Contains vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium.
👩🍳 Chef's Favorite Recipe : Ginger Pear Smoothie
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 4 medium pears, roughly chopped
- 1″ piece fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and purée until creamy and smooth.
- Divide into glasses and serve.
- If you don’t have a high-powered blender, avoid bits of leaves in your smoothie by pulsing the spinach first into really small pieces, then add the rest of the ingredients and purée until smooth.
- I recommend keeping a bag of frozen bananas in the freezer for easy smoothie making. They create a milkshake-like consistency and keep the entire smoothie ice cold.