Buy aubergines online from London Grocery! Fresh, tasty and perfect for cooking!
How to Select the Best Aubergines?
Look for smooth, shiny skin that are uniform in color and heavy for their size.
How to Store Your Fresh Aubergines?
It is best to use eggplant within one day of purchase but if you want to store them you can wrap them in a paper towel and refrigerate in a perforated plastic bag in the crisper. This way you can store your aubergines up to four days!
What are the Health Benefits of Aubergines?
Aubergines are excellent source of dietary fibre. They are also perfect source of vitamins B1, B6 and potassium. Also they are high in the minerals copper, magnesium and manganese.
What is the Best Recipe for Aubergines?
Oven Roasted Aubergine
- 2 lb. fresh aubergine
- 2 to 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Wipe the aubergine clean and slice them in half lengthwise.
- With the tip of a knife, score the flesh deeply in a diamond cross-hatch pattern by making two or three long cuts, cutting at a steep angle, and then rotating the aubergine to make another set of similar cuts.
- Press on the edges of the halves to open the cuts and sprinkle salt (1 to 1-1/2 tsp. total for all the halves) over the surface and into the cuts.
- Set aside, cut side up, for 30 min.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Over the sink, gently squeeze the aubergine to extract the salty juice and wipe them dry with a paper towel.
- Brush each half thoroughly with olive oil.
- Arrange each half, cut side down, on top of a sprig or two of thyme on the baking sheet.
- Roast for one hour.
- Let cool considerably before handling, at least 20 min.
- Gently turn the cut side up. If serving as a side dish, serve with a lemon wedge for squeezing.
- Bon appetit!
You can also try to make baked aubergines and awesome vegan dish miso aubergines!